Arthur Offen - 2016 - Seven Wonders

(48:52; Arthur Offen)






















There are quite a few reasons which have kept me writing about music for more than 35 years, and one which certainly cannot be discounted is insanity, but probably the main one which keeps me coming back is that I am fortunate enough to hear music which very few others ever come across and then can do my bit to try and promote them in some small way. Last year I came across the 2021 Air Raid album, ‘Freedom Calls’, which I really enjoyed. Not long afterwards I heard from the man behind that project, Arthur Offen, who wondered if I might be interested in his solo album from 2016, so of course I agreed. I knew Arthur had been in Air Raid in 1973 and that their debut album was produced by none other than Eddie Kramer but was not aware that he had also been the main person behind Flag, who released a trio of albums starting in 1994. He says that in many ways this is a direct continuation of that project, but here released under his own name.

Yet again we have a Seventies-styled album, with Arthur having a strong penchant for songs-based progressive rock combined with classic hard rock. The introduction from the lengthy (14 minutes) “Grail Cycle” could have come from Tull, while there is also plenty of room throughout for Kansas and Styx. Arthur has a very rich voice, incredibly broad, and one can only wonder what it was like when he was in his thirties, as there is a great deal of power here even now. Many of the songs are piano based, with Arthur being a consummate storyteller throughout, yet they are always being driven by guitar, so they have plenty of edge and presence. The combination of layered arrangements which are somehow both complex and simplistic are the perfect backdrop for his rich baritone, and the very first time I heard this I was just stunned not to have read about this widely. I know fans of hard rock, prog, classic rock and AOR will find a great deal here to enjoy, and that it has been hiding under the radar for so many years is criminal. Each time I play this album I get more from it, and he certainly knows how to build to a climax with passion, emotion, and plenty of contrast. This is a very deep release, nothing shallow or plastic about this at all. By going to his site it is possible to play all his releases and I urge you to give them a try.

Kev Rowland, April 2024

Links:
https://www.arthuroffen.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jay Graboski - 2023 - Authentic Fake

Thirteen of Everything - 2023 - Time and Other Delusions

Just Jay (& his Sonic Sphere of Acquaintance) - 2019 - Steps 1971-2019