Gutvoid - 2026 - Liminal Shrines
(49:05: Profound Lore)
As a reviewer I am constantly bombarded with requests to review albums, but unless I already know the band (or they are on a label I admire) I just cannot take all of them, so these days it is unusual for me to grab a band at random. However, that is what happened with this band as I felt their name was just so cool I had to discover more about what was going on. I must have missed them first time around as this is their second album, although their first for Profound Lore, following on from 2022’s ‘Durance of Lightless Horizons’. Gutvoid was formed by guitarist Daniel Bonofiglio and guitarist/vocalist Brendan Dean, followed shortly thereafter by bassist Justin Boehm and drummer D. W. Lee, and according to Encyclopaedia Metallum the name “refers to the void of outer space, but if it were made of guts and other living matter.” But although the name is indeed what made me interested in the first place, I do think it may also possibly be turning people away who would find this fascinating.
The only way to truly describe these guys is as progressive metal as they are blending many different styles seamlessly into one, with huge complexity and layering moving into doom or death with frequent tempo and style changes, all with death growls over the top. One could argue there is even black metal in here plus mathcore and djent, which means for extreme metal fans there is a great deal going on, and behind all the brashness and volume there is a huge amount of finesse and musicianship. If Brendan had a different vocal approach, they would be considered a very different band indeed, and I am sure there are many metalheads who would love this if they heard it. They are obviously influenced by the likes of Nile and Cynic, along with Immolation, but they are very much making this their own as they throw many different styles into the blender and come up with something which is hugely fascinating.
This is music refusing to be pigeonholed, following their own vision and destiny as opposed to wanting to just like everyone else. This release is the first of a two-part concept and I am already looking forward to the next one. For metalheads everywhere.
Kev Rowland, July 2026
Links:
https://www.facebook.com/gutvoidofficial
https://profoundlorerecords.com/

Comments
Post a Comment