Aether - 2026 - III
(43:16; Luminol Records)
As one may ascertain from the title, Aether are back with their third album in fairly quick succession, continuing in the similar excellent vein established with their 2024 album, ‘Trans-Neptunian Objects’. It is again fully instrumental, apart from a recitative interlude by Claudio Milano (Nichelodeon) on “Vogon”, and was recorded live in the studio, with the songs themselves developed on themes discovered during rehearsals and improvisations undertaken during 2025. It is the same line-up as on the previous releases, namely Andrea Ferrari (guitars, keyboards), Andrea Grumelli (fretless bass), Andrea Serino (Fender Rhodes, keyboards) and Matteo Ravelli (drums, electronics) and somehow, they are seamlessly combining music from genres as diverse as ambient/New Age, symphonic, classical and jazz to create something which at times is delicate yet at others is incredibly powerful indeed.
Depending on what track I am listening to I find myself moving more to the keyboards, or possible the strident piano, or the fretless bass, or the controlled percussive elements which are much more than “just” drums, or the careful use of guitar, or even the wider use of space and silence. One never knows where the album is going to lead, which is what makes it so interesting, as it varies so much but somehow everything is connected, while the introduction of flute (Rosarita Crisafi) on a few of the tracks is inspired. Just now I was thinking how much this music made me think of a river then looked at the press release to confirm I had some information correct, and they also describe the track I was listening to (“Panta Rei”) as a raging river, so we must be aligned. This is one where the guitar slowly makes its entrance felt, becoming more dominant throughout, yet it is the combination of all instruments which makes this such a standout piece.
I was not the biggest fan of their debut, but they found their feet with the second and this is another absolute delight which is progressive in its truest sense and stands apart from the crowd. Well worthy of investigation.
Kev Rowland, August 2026
Links:
https://aether5.bandcamp.com/

Comments
Post a Comment