Eaten By Sharks - 2026 - The Undertow Of Hate

(34:03; CDN Records)






















I must confess I knew nothing about this band prior to grabbing the album, which I did just because I thought the name was great (and I also love their logo, the shirts look amazing). Of course, this meant a large part of me thought I was possibly opening myself up for some disappointment, but I am truly glad to report that is not the case. I have never been the biggest fan of pure deathcore, but these guys are technical deathcore combined with progressive death metal, and that makes a huge difference as one truly never knows what is happening next.  It could be quick riffs, some highly complex leads which come in and out, some melodic switches, change in tempo, a totally different drum pattern or vocals which switch between styles.

Apart from singer Matt Sherriff who joined in 2018, all the band have been together since their formation in 2012 which means that Tyler Abrams (bass), Justin Whitehead (drums), Chris Chaperon (lead guitars) and Dan Oko (rhythm guitars) have had plenty of time to play together and it shows in the complex and complicated melodies they interweave. I am not sure if this is being counted as their debut album or their second, depending on whether one views 2022’s ‘Eradication’ as an album or EP (27 minutes, 7 songs, so right on the cusp), but it never feels like the release of a relatively unknown band on a small label, but instead is something much bigger and far more powerful. 

The label suggests this release is for fans of Fit For An Autopsy, Gojira, and Cattle Decapitation, and I can certainly see where they are coming from with mentioning those influences. At the very least Eaten by Sharks should be mentioned in the same breath so if you enjoy that type of bands then here is something new to discover. 

Kev Rowland, August 2026

Links:
https://www.facebook.com/eatenbysharksband
https://cdnrecords.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tonnen von Hall - 2025 - Ein Abdruck vom Messer im Herzen

Thirteen of Everything - 2023 - Time and Other Delusions

Deaton Lemay Project - 2022 - The Fifth Element