Enigmatic Sound Machines - 2026 - Divided By One

(61:43; Progrock.com's Essentials)






















Childhood friends Jérémie Arrobas (lead vocals, synthesizers, synth guitars, sound machines) and Thomas Szirmay (sound machines, voice) are back with their fourth album and have again been joined by Hansford Rowe (bass) and Alain Bellaiche (guitars) who are now credited as being members of the band. There are a series of guests, and while I was disappointed to see that Rob Harrison (sax, flute) was not involved this time around, I was certainly pleased to see both Steve Bonino and Laiura Piazzai coming along for the ride.

I don’t know if I started thinking this due to the final track on the album, but to me this album sees a shift away from Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream more into music which I normally credit to Gary Numan, although yet again there is no doubt there are also major influences from Gabriel’s solo works, and songs such as “Siren Song” would have been major pop hits in the Eighties in edited versions. Arrobas is a fine electronic pop song writer and singer and along with Thomas is working incredibly quickly for a new outfit given this is their fourth album in as many years, their second for Progrock.com’s Essentials label.

I clearly remember Tubeway Army’s “Are 'Friends' Electric?” hitting the top of the UK charts at the end of the Seventies, finding it difficult to realise that was more than 45 years ago. I don’t think I have ever heard a cover version prior to this, but this is how ESM have chosen to end the album, and they have brought some Mike Oldfield into this and somehow made it lighter yet chunkier at the same time, quite “blocky”, yet it works well. Released as the lead single and video this will hopefully have gained them some more interest as while their style is not really what I prefer to listen to there are many out there who would feel otherwise if they investigated. 

Kev Rowland, August 2026

Links:
https://enigmaticsoundmachines.com/
https://essentials.progrock.com/

Comments