Protos - 2024 - The Infinite Horizon
(39:37; Protos)
Protos was formed in 1977 by Rory Ridley-Duff (keyboards) and Steve Anscombe (guitars), and their 1982 debut album, ‘One Day a New Horizon’, had an expanded line-up which included Neil Goldsmith, Iain Carnegie and Nigel Rippon. By 1984 the band was no more, but Ridley-Duff and Anscombe stayed active in the music scene, and following on from a CD reissue of the album in 2006 they released a new album the following year. What we have here is a new keyboards and drums version of the original with Ridley-Duff being joined by drummer Alex Warwick. Apparently Anscombe was involved in the arrangements but was too ill to be musically active as he was suffering from a terminal illness, and on the front cover it states, “In memory of Stephen Anscombe”.
It is somewhat unusual for a band to revisit their debut so long after the original was released, and although I probably know more underground prog than many, I must confess I have never come across the original. This album has the same six songs but not knowing the debut I cannot comment on just how different it is. What did surprise me however is just how much I kept thinking of Soniq Theater while I was playing this, and I was somewhat surprised to see it wasn’t Alfred when I looked to see what the album was. However, the use of “real” drums makes a significant difference and definitely adds to the polish on this release. It is not surprising to discover this is a remake of a much older album as it still has plenty of Eighties’ feel about it, probably aided by the keyboard sounds being utilised.
It is an interesting release as opposed to essential, and in some ways appears to have been influenced by Steve Hackett and Anthony Phillips’ pastoral works, which is something of a weird thing to say given they are both guitarists and this is keyboards, but my mind works in weird and wonderful ways. It is a pleasant enough progressive romp, and I am sure anyone who has enjoyed the original release will want to seek this out.
Kev Rowland, August 2026
Links:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61585964313285#

Comments
Post a Comment