Rick Miller - 2026 - Temporal Illusion

(49:48; Progressive Promotion Records)






















Rick is back with his 21st album, which is the 14th in succession which I have reviewed, starting all the way back with 2009’s ‘Falling Through Rainbows’. These days Rick is hugely consistent with his output, with this being is seventh album in seven years, and with exactly the same personnel as last year’s ‘Perspective’, three of whom have been with him for more than 20 years. Heavily influenced by The Moody Blues and the more atmospheric releases from David Gilmour and Steve Hackett, one always knows what one is going to get with Miller, a heavily dreamy version of symphonic rock with his vocals providing another ambient nature.

Mind you, those who think he has forgotten what the volume control is for on his guitar, or the use of dynamics, should look closely at the longest track on the album, “The Game”. It is this song which has been used as the inspiration for the cover art, and changes melody and approach during its nine plus minutes. I always smile when a new Miller album is presented to me, as I know I am always going to enjoy it and the only decision I have to make is whether it is going to be five stars or merely four, as over the last fifteen years or so I have never awarded anything less, which is highly unusual for me. 

For some strange reason Miller has never really been recognised in the higher echelons of the underground scene, but that is never due to lack of wonderful material. Those of us in the know have been raving about him for years, and hopefully we will long continue to do so as his highly constructed, polished and refined style of progressive rock is always a joy from beginning to end. 

Kev Rowland, August 2026

Links:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063292864150
https://www.ppr-shop.de/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tonnen von Hall - 2025 - Ein Abdruck vom Messer im Herzen

Thirteen of Everything - 2023 - Time and Other Delusions

Deaton Lemay Project - 2022 - The Fifth Element