Rory Ridley-Duff - 2026 - Balustrania
(42:06; Rory Ridley-Duff)
This is Rory’s fourth solo album, released at the beginning of this year, which he describes as a mix of progressive/symphonic rock music with splashes of cool jazz. I noticed that the album available on Bandcamp has seven tracks, while my version has eight, and then I realised the last song on my set is actually the promo for this release, which is also available on Bandcamp. At eight minutes long it contains 30 second snippets of each piece, with Rory explaining what each song represents, and I don’t think I have come across anything quite like this before, and there is no doubt it aided with my understanding of the album as a whole and really works. It is certainly a great way of discovering Rory’s music (and is “name your price” so what do you have to lose?).
There are no guests on this release and Rory proudly states that AI was not used at any point and that he plays everything himself, which is great to know. AI is supposed to take the drudgery out of work, not create art, yet I can see it having much more of an impact in the coming years which is not a future I am looking forward to. Luckily there are still those, like Rory, who have refused to succumb and instead are taking their musical thoughts and capturing them so the rest of us can hear what is taking place inside their heads. This feels like a much more refined and controlled release than the previous one with far greater direction. I have never been a fan of programmed drums, but on tracks like “On The Ocean” they work very well indeed as the results have been thought about and composed as part of the whole instead of just put in to provide a beat.
Including the latest Protos release I have heard three of Rory’s albums in the last few weeks and there is no doubt this is the most complete and interesting as he moves more into Wakeman and Vangelis. Well worth investigating for those who enjoy this style of music.
Kev Rowland, August 2026
Links:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61585964313285#

Comments
Post a Comment