Various Artists - 2026 - Hear No Evil
(153:40; Friends of the Fish)
There are only a very few labels I deal with where I always grab everything I am offered as I have such high respect for what they do, and Fruits de Mer are very much part of that select list and this double CD (gatefold cardboard sleeve) really epitomises what they are about. Firstly, this album is not for sale, it was sent freely to FdeM club members who bought the early June commercial releases. Secondly, this 2½ hour set was funded by the label, not the bands featured, as the label was keen on bringing new music and new artists, to the attention of fans of the label.
Most of the artists featured are new to FdM found by chance, by searching social media, by recommendations, or by the bands finding FdeM and then Keith Jones thinking that regular customers would like them and may want to investigate further. If that is not enough, on the CD it says clearly where each song is taken from, as well as where to be able to purchase it from. For example, the first song is by Astral Magic and is taken from their 2021 album ‘The Chosen Ones’ and while the CD is no longer available it is possible to download the album from Bandcamp. This means that FdeM are introducing a band to listeners, at a cost, but with no financial reward whatsoever. The strange thing for me is that while this is a band I had not previously come across I have just been sent an album to review which Santtu Laakso (the main person in the band) recorded with Dr Space (Øresund Space Collective), it is indeed a small world at times.
Are you interested in space rock? Progressive rock? Pyschedelia? Late Sixties-style weirdness? It is all here, and while the vast majority of bands will be new to many, it is no surprise to find Sendelica on here. Not only was Keith a fan of the band, but also friends with their leader and lead guitarist Pete Bingham, and sadly he died from cancer in May. I have always enjoyed their music and the edited take (only 15 minutes) of one of their live improvisations is a fitting tribute. I am not sure if this set is ever going to be made publicly available outside members of the club, but if you do get the opportunity grab it as this is a great set and wonderful introduction to one of the finest labels around.
Kev Rowland, August 2026
Links:
https://www.fruitsdemerrecords.com/

Comments
Post a Comment