Z Machine - 2023 - Merging Worlds
(39:56; Z Machine)
It is not unusual for me to do things in a strange manner, so having heard Rob Harrison’s second album I then listened to his debut, and it is only now that I am moving onto the first Z Machine album which was released in 2023 (I hear the second is due soon). What we have here is a Welsh jazz rock/progressive rock quintet featuring Lester Greenhalgh (drums & percussion), Rob Harrison (saxophone, flute), Kristian Rees (bass) and guitarists Gareth Piper and Owen Rosser. The first thing that stands out from their sound is that there are no keyboards (which is not a total surprise in that these guys are so tight they could not fit in another instrument) and that they have far more in common with a “straight” jazz band than rock, but they are very much a rock group.
It is not unusual in jazz for a saxophone to be the main melodic lead working with a very technical rhythm section who do way more than just provide a foundation, but what is unusual here is the use of twin guitarists who can provide beck and call or just crunch the riffs. I think I expected much more in the way of pronk given Rob’s solo releases, and I confess I am having something of a difficulty in deciding if they are jazz band moving into prog, or the other way around, but what I do know is that it is fascinating and endlessly inventive. I have no idea if this was recorded live in the studio as is the case with many jazz acts, but it would not surprise me at all if it were, as it has that bounce, feel and togetherness which only comes from everyone playing off each other.
The result is something which is far more jazz combining with rock than jazz rock fusion and is quite different from many bands working in their field, so much so that even jazz purists may find this interesting. All I can say is that this a fascinating take on different musical forms and anyone who enjoys discovering those pushing boundaries while somehow also staying listenable the first time around would do well to seek them out.
Kev Rowland, August 2026
Links:
https://www.facebook.com/ZMachineWales/

Comments
Post a Comment